My simple thoughts on this much talked about subject.
1. A brand is not a logo. It’s the way a company or organisation behaves and what it believes.
2. A brand is a tone of voice. It’s the airing of an opinion. A point of view on the world. A personality.
3. A brand is behaviour. How you answer the phone and serve refreshments. It’s how you act.
4. A brand relies on how consistent it is. Stand for something and plough that furrow religiously. If you waver, people won’t know what to believe.
5. A brand is an emotional reaction to a signifier. That signifier is usually a logo and it triggers a thought. Make sure yours triggers a positive one.
6. A brand is a promise. It’s a reassurance of a certain level of quality. Make sure yours doesn’t under deliver.
7. A brand is how you look. Be it a website, advertising, your suit or the shine of your shoes, it’s all branding.
8. A brand is a CV. Be it corporate or personal, what you’ve done and how you’ve done it impact on what everyone thinks about you.
9. A brand is sticking your hand in the air and saying ‘I’m different’. It’s a cluttered, confusing marketplace out there, so try to stand for something that differentiates.
10. A brand is what people say about you when you’re not in the room. It’s your reputation. If you aren’t branding yourself, rest assured others are doing it for you.
These are my thoughts. What are yours? I’d love to hear your ideas.