Unless you are a serial stalker there is little point in investing online if you start thinking ‘influence’. What I mean by this is that you could have thousands of connections, an amazing website, a state of the art custom Facebook page but unless you try to influence you won’t go anywhere.
How then does one go about ‘influencing’ and become an ‘influencer’?
1. Accomplish something significant.
2. Find your niche or specialism (something that people are interested in) and become expert in it. Don’t spread yourself too thin and try not to generalise. The most influential people are in the world are known for one thing. Look at sports stars, musicians, actors etc. Be an authority in that field.
3. Create great content and get people coming back for more.
4. Be consistent in manner, tone and opinion. People like consistency and trust it.
5. Don’t follow the herd.
6. Attach yourself to influential people.
7. Guard your reputation with your life.
8. Be trustworthy.
9. Be open to connection and reciprocate.
Influence is Reputation and Trust, multiplied by Reach.